« Older   Newer »

1. ~MissCarta~

Group
    founder

Status
    CITAZIONE
    Blue-Eyed Butcher (Lifetime) Advance Review

blue-eyed-killer-sara-paxton-550x366

Blue-Eyed Butcher premieres tonight, March 3rd at 8pm on Lifetime. Blue-Eyed Butcher is based on the true life murder scandal of Susan Wright who brutally took her husband’s life one night. Prior to that, the couple was described as a Leave It to Beaver type couple, with two small boys. As her trial progressed, accusations began to immerge of domestic violence committed by Susan’s husband, Jeff Wright. While Susan’s attorney seized upon those allegations as a defense, the prosecution used another tactic, something not typically seen in the courtroom.

Blue-Eyed Butcher stars Sara Paxton (Last House On the Left, Superhero Movie) as Emily Wright, Justin Bruening (All My Children, Knight Rider) as Jeff Wright, and Lisa Edelstein (House) as the prosecutor, Kelly Siegler. Honestly, the movie could have used more Lisa Edelstein. She portrayed a tough as nails and extremely determined prosecutor quite well.

As for Blue-Eyed Butcher, I wish that the movie would have managed to reach the level of intrigue, fascination and drama that comes with a shocking small town murder. Unforunately, it never does. A large part of the problem with Blue-Eyed Butcher is the storytelling technique that starts with intermingled trial scenes and flashbacks, but then later switches to purely Susan flashbacks that change the tone. Yet, there is not another side to the movie. In fact, there is absolutely no Jeff Wright side. He is shown as loving, he is shown as a monster, and he is shown as a victim, but all through Susan’s eyes. The movie wastes the acting chops of Michael Gross who plays Jeff’s father, but only has about three lines in the movie. Similarly, the viewer does not hear from his mother, friends, or even siblings. Heck, I don’t even know if he has siblings. I know nothing about him.

It is hard to tell a two-sided story when one side is gone. However, there are other ways to piece things together, even for effect. Blue-Eyed Butcher does not bother. The movie seems intent in showing off the beauty of Sara Paxton which assumedly implies that she either was acting in self defense or was just plain nuts. How else could something so pretty do something so evil? Unfortunately, that is not enough to carry the movie. Even the high drama in the courtroom is lost in the playback/flashback montages.

Blue-Eyed Butcher premieres tonight on Lifetime at 8 pm ET. While I will not recommend it as a must see movie, it is pleasant to look at.

Source
    Web

54 replies since 14/12/2011, 09:50   12983 views